Sunday, May 13, 2012

D&G A Thousand Plateaus Chapters 15 and 14


I finally got a chance to read chapters 15 and 14 in A Thousand Plateaus and have some thoughts, which still need more fleshing out.   
I do not agree, or possibly understand, the claim that “Articulation, which is constitutive of a stratum, is always a double articulation (double pincer). What is articulated is a content and an expression. Whereas form and substance are not really distinct, content and expression are” (502).  But I imagine content and expression are interlocked in their existence, similar to form and substance.  I’m curious if earlier chapters will elaborate on this claim, because for now I’m unsure how D&G arrived at this content and expression distinction.  Any circulating text/object/artifact deploys an expression because of difference (and not to mention meaning-making by culture).  And whenever a text is articulated, expression inherently accompanies the articulation.  To articulate means to speak, to write, to express (which all produce and carry contextual meanings). I cannot think of a moment where articulation has no meaning, no expression. 
Obviously, D&G’s articulation of stratums are allegorical for a capitalist society.  As capitalism functions in a state of chaos, it simultaneously sustains a stratified order.  With intention to consume completely the limited resources, stratification is stretched, eventually causing the system to implode.  Such a collapse renders ― typically a reactionary or conservative ― nostalgia for and reinforcement of distinct social, political and economic structures (often how fascism emerges).  One line that I liked was when D&G remarked that “it [destratification] will sometimes end in chaos, the void and destruction, and sometimes lock us back into the strata, which become more rigid still, losing their degrees of diversity, differentiation, and mobility” (504). 
Much of these last two chapters reminded me of post-colonial theory, specifically what Bill Ashcroft argues in his book Post-Colonial Transformation. In fact, Ashcroft applies D&G’s rhizome metaphor for his larger argument that colonized subjects can exercise agency within power structures.  Ashcroft argues against Louis Althusser’s claim that “all ideology hails or interpellates concrete individuals as concrete subjects” and posits that ideology is more elusive and that “interpolation” filters in and through culture.  He remarks that “interpolation is the access such ‘interpellated’ subjects have to a counter discursive agency” (47). Thus, within the rhizome power structure, colonized subjects can “interpolate” empire by appropriating dominant imperial discourses and representations. In doing so, he posits that colonized subjects transform these discourses of representations, histories, spaces, places, et al.  Such a movement, and consequently transformation, emulates what sounds like D&G suggest: “The line no longer forms a contour, and instead passes between things, between points. It belongs to a smooth space” (505).  In other words (as I read it), the marginalized/colonized/oppressed subject navigates spaces in order to expose and subvert Western/dominant imperial discourses and binaries.

Also, Ashcroft’s interpolation connects to, or seems similar to, deterritorialization.  I was a little confused though in regard to what the four forms of D (deterritorialization) are.  Following the claim that four forms exist, D&G summarize what I consider is the first form: Abstract Machines.  I found this section interesting, and thus I’d like to reflect briefly on some of the ideas.
1. Abstract Machines (Diagram and Phylum)- “constitute becomings.”  “They know nothing of forms or substances.”  Although D&G explicitly say that this form of deterritorialization is not a Platonic idealism ― or a form situated within a dualistic world ― I still find their explanation of Abstract Machines as intangible because why and how could this form be separate from forms and substances?  Does their “unformed matters and nonformal functions” (511) allow them to resist the imperial/dominant dualistic paradigm?  This may be so, because D&G also regard Abstract Machines as the agents that unveil the distinction between content and expression, as well as unifies the two.  Again, I’m having difficulty seeing the distinction with content and expression, and this distinction sounds an awful like the objective/subjective dichotomy.  Such a distinct could lead to a classic Marxist materialism: the science of history.  Yet, what I believe D&G also suggest is that Abstract Machines emulate, or maybe deploy, a potentiality (which also makes me think about Alain Badiou’s Event).  As Abstract Machines navigate the between spaces ― the lines of flight in which they can escape hegemony ― they eradicate the binaries and become/open up third spaces.
And what happened to the three other forms? I have no clue, but some possibilities: (1) I interpreted the forms wrong ― Abstract Machines are deterritorialization, and we find the four forms within Abstract Machines (even though Abstract Machines “know nothing of forms”) or (2) the other forms are irrelevant for D&G’s larger argument.

3 comments:

  1. Admittedly, the fact that we tried to read the conclusion first is going to yield either oversimplifications (see my own blog) or perplexity. Your curiosity about expression/content, form/substance I think is good, but I think that we have to look at these in context: Hjelemslev -- http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Louis_Hjelmslev

    So in order to understand this, I think we need at least to keep in mind that these terms are located in the discourse of H. rather than a general idea of "form and substance" that we might think about, as if, for instance, we would read these terms in Aristotle (I did not take this into account when I wrote my own blog).

    Second, and perhaps more importantly, I think we should be cautious about place D&G's text under the rubric of cultural studies/post-colonial theory, which, while they have used the concepts, I think may actually lead to a "re-territorializing" of their-- as I would suggest that deterritorializing is not necessarily connected to explicitly (or only) political concerns. I would say the same thing about the "strata," which, still remain quite opaque to me but which I hope chapter 3 and 4 will help me to articulate. From what I can gather, the strata are much more radical concepts than a metaphor/analogy/allegory for a particular political orientation. Just as a taste of Ch. 3 -- "Every stratum is a judgment of God" (44) -- an enigmatic and poetic line that makes little sense out of the context D&G set up for the statement (which is just as confusing -- we even have the line, "God is a Lobster" a "double pincer")

    Anyway, I encourage you to comment on my blogs and I am hoping that we can do work on the text through BLOGS as well as face to face meetings. The tragedy of using blogs for a seminar or some formal class is usually that there are few responses that genuinely address another's questions, provocations, statements, interpretations, etc. in a blog post. I advocate for excessive use of the comment feature to engage in a meaningful dialogue about particular pieces and even lines of the text, not with the intention to "decipher" the meaning, but still with the intent of reading "within" the language of the text. But that's just me.

    -Jake

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, contextualizing D&G with Hjelemslev will help. As you also remarked, I associate form and substance in the Aristotelian sense. I think D&G may be trying to reorient such philosophical terms (and possibly earlier chapters will clarify), thus producing the third space. In fact, I think every chapter will intently focus on reorienting terms, ideas, and knowledges. But D&G’s connection to Hjelemslev illuminates how their approach does discuss the intersections of culture and politics. Hjelemslev’s approach to linguistics addressed the contextual meanings of signs, which are always situated in politics. Also, I guess it's difficult not to consider the political concerns because the subtitle explicitly addresses capitalism. I guess my question would be why would machines seek to deterritorialize? To continue in the process of becoming? And if they have no intentions--deterritorializing is just part of the process of subjectivity, art, physics, math, language, etc.--what are the implications? Ultimately, I think these will lead to the political (subject/ivities). It will be interesting to see what chapter 3 discusses with micropolitics.

      I also found it interesting that you remark that the "strata" is a much more radical concept than metaphor/analogy/allegory, and, since you’ve read more than me, I wonder if D&G are just using a “Nietzschean” prose. Yet, it seems (from chapters 15 and 14) that the whole text is allegorical for politics; however, I’m also reading the text as I’ve read other texts . . . I’m using a familiar lens (which is what I think D&G are NOT wanting us to do!) that ATP is deconstructing as I read.

      I wish I had met up with you and Kyle yesterday because I think the writing--both form and content--is interesting. As I read these chapters, I focused more on the ideas. For chapters 3, 4 and 6, I will pay more attention to the writing.

      Delete
  2. Phil,

    You are totally right by the way that there is a politial register to their discussing of linguistics. After reading chapter 3 and half of Chapter 4, I detect a lot of Foucault Archaeology of Knowledge influence in their discussion of linguistics, and D&G make explicit reference to that text and Foucault' discipline and punish.

    ReplyDelete